Monday, March 8, 2010

Flour Power.

I was driving along Jalan Lobak (turning in from Jalan Durian) in Taman Cheras when I noticed this peculiar signage on a restaurant. It was closed then. They open around 10+, unlike other restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Being the curious one, I just had to return and dig out what's so different here.

So I went back during one2two time. It wasn't too packed.

The boss saw me with my LX-3 and greeted me pleasantly like every other restaurant bosses. Introduced his menu that boasts of different coloured Pan Mee - Po Choi Pan Mee that was green in colour, Yin Choi (Spinach) Pan Mee (lighter green) and Kum Kua (Pumpkin) Pan Mee (yellow!).

And the Pan Mee noodles come in different thickness too - regular, medium and flat hand-peeled.

But what's really different, as pointed out boldly by the boss, is the flour they used to make the Pan Mee noodles. "I'm absolutely sure you won't get this sort of quality anywhere else, my noodles do not go soft for however long they're soaked in the soup, unlike other restaurants," he claimed.

I ordered the Pumpkin Pan Mee, hand-peeled.

And it was like he said, the bowl of soup was superbly balanced with the flavours of ikan bilis (anchovies), yin choi (spinach) and pork. And the crunchiness of the pan mee noodles remains consistent throughout the meal, which was fantastic.

With an I-told-you-so face, the boss also told me to return again on weekends to try his Yam or Sweet Potato Pan Mee.

He says I will enjoy more of the difference. I believe him.

No comments: