Monday, April 29, 2013

Sulaiman's Famous Cendol and Rojak

My mother is heavyset. (Admittedly, I'm built like my mother). And she knows exactly where to go shopping for her clothes and all. On this occasion, she wanted to visit her favourite stall where she can stock up on her "loose fit" home dresses in Pudu Market!  

She was very persuasive. I had to drive her there.

So together with my mother and family, we made our way to Pudu, where the wet market is. And while she was busy choosing her new pyjamas, I had to snoop around the area to see if I can find something, anything, that's exciting.

This is when I came across the Sulaiman's Famous Cendol and Rojak stall.

Sulaiman's Famous Cendol Dan Rojak stall
When you use the word "Famous" on the signage of your stall or a restaurant, naturally you'll attract significantly higher expectations. But the man behind the ice shaving machine seems totally cool, calm and collected. He spoke pretty good Cantonese, and probably other Chinese dialects too.


I invited my mother and family over. They found a vacant table and waited for their cendols.


This is how the stall looks like from the side.


There were about five tables placed in a row across the unused walkway.


Cars conveniently stopped next to the stall and packed cendols and rojaks.


Then our bowls of cendols arrived. The coconut milk and Gula Melaka (palm sugar) based dessert, with kidney beans and corn was not extraordinarily delicious. But the "green stuff" that we know as "cendol" was better than average as they do not harden as they get cold from sitting on the shaved ice in the bowl. (I'd have to add that there are people who actually told me they prefer their "cendol" to harden, but never got around to explain why). The coconut milk was freshly fragrant too. So no complaints there.


The prices... Cendol Biasa (no added condiments except for the "cendol") – RM1.20 (drink there and then) RM1.50 (takeaway). With Kacang, Pulut (sticky glutinous rice) or Corn, RM1.30/RM1.60. Special (with the lot) – RM1.50/RM1.80. Rojak Biasa (no sotong/squid) – RM3.50. Rojak + Sotong/Squid – RM4.00. And the list goes on.


For those truly affordable prices, you'd have to bear with the lack of amenities. Though we were glad that they have a basin to wash up after.


As I turned around for a final look at Sulaiman's, a thought ran through my head, well... sometimes you're famous for the dish you serve, and sometimes it's for that little extra experience that makes it absolutely memorable. 

No comments: